Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step. ~Unknown~
We all have a dream deep in our heart that we want to pursue. Taking the first step is perhaps the most difficult thing to do in achieving a dream. Everything we do in life starts with baby steps. In order to progress toward your goals, no matter how big or small, you have to take the first step. Even if it’s the wrong one and you have to start over, at least you’ll have momentum on your side.
As Lao-tzu said, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Here are a few things we need in order to embark on our journey to success.
- Mindset – it all begins in our mind, you have to decide to be successful, believe you will be successful and then do what it takes to reach that goal. You run into obstacles along the way, but instead of focusing on the obstacle, find a way around it by keeping your goal in mind.
- Focus – Keep focus on your goal, no matter how many times your mind may stray, bring it back to focus on the task at hand and on your long-term goal. Remind yourself of your goal and you will regain your focus quicker than trying to force it.
- Dedication – Being dedicated is simply a habit that you create by staying focused on your goal. Everything you do, do it with passion and wholeheartedly.
- Discipline – You can’t achieve success without discipline both mentally and socially. Without discipline, nothing gets accomplished. Discipline is simply the ability to give you a command and then follow through with it.
- Will – Without will, very little in life is ever possible. When you set your goals and strive for success you have to possess the will to do it and remove failure as an option
After you put these core components in place, then it’s time to gear up to take the first step. Here are some ways to get started:
- Make a bold move – Don’t just contemplate doing something. Do it. If you’ve always wanted to do or try something new or different, make up your mind that you’re going to do it.
- Get support – Whatever you’re planning to do, you’ll need support be it friends or family. They’ll be a source of confidence and will also hold you accountable.
- Be true to yourself – If you know you’re following your heart with genuine, good intentions, you can do no wrong. Listen to your inner voice and stay authentic.
- Have a good attitude – “What is the difference between an obstacle and an opportunity? Our attitude toward it. Every opportunity has a difficulty, and every difficulty has an opportunity.” J. Sidlow Baxter. Life inevitably presents you with challenging moments, its positive attitude that will carry you through the hard times.
- Have a little faith – Nobody knows where this first step will take you. And who knows if it will even amount to anything? Nevertheless, you’ve taken charge of your destiny simply by taking that first step. The possibilities are endless. Have faith – know that everything will work out as it should.
- Believe in your dream – Believing in your dream is essential to get the motivation you need to achieve it. You simply can’t fool your own heart. Deep down inside you know whether or not you can believe in your dream.
- Take one step at a time – Your dream may be big, it should be. And that might make it seem overwhelming. So take steps that you can handle. In so doing you won’t burn out your fuel too soon so to speak.
Lastly here are few don’ts you have to keep in mind.
- Don’t wait until the situation is perfect because it will never be, No matter how or when you see it, there will always be something that make you think twice.
- Don’t wait until other people agree with you. There will always be opposition, and that is perfectly normal.
- Don’t wait until your skill is good, you will learn much more by doing than by waiting.
- Don’t expect an easy way; expect a hard one instead and you will be well prepared when turbulence come.